South Bend metalfest.....

Go down

South Bend metalfest.....

Post by exo on Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:34 pm

I went to the first night of the South Bend Metalfest last night, headlined by the touring package of Neuraxis, Veil of Maya, Decrepit Birth, Abigail Williams, and The Faceless.....and my neck is SORE today!!!!! there were 4 other bands as well, mostly local acts

I have been hoping that I'd be able to catch a Neuraxis gig....they did not dissappoint, showing some of the newer bands EXACTLY how the technical/brutal deathmetal thing is done.......

Veil of Maya, I spent the entire set at the BACK of the rom, as I do NOT get into the whole "breakdowns and pit monkeys" thing they do.

Decrepit Birth was just BRUTAL....brutal.......at one point, the singer decided to stagedive and join the pit....I think he overshot his intended landing place in the crowd by a good 15 feet....lol.....

Abigail Williams....this band is just about as close as you can get to the late era Emperor sound that you can get without being Emperor themselves.....the Brutal DM fans and pit monkeys didn't have a clue what to make of these guys, though tey include just enough deathmetal in their formula that the crowd was still into it. It was a tossup whether or not I was looking forward more to Neraxis or these guys going in, and the day after, it's a tossup which band I enjoyed more.....

the Faceless.....are a modern brutal death outfit, where you basically throw Decapitated, late era Death, and Necrophagist into a blender, add JUST a hint of deathcore to it, and that's what you've got. I enjoyed their set, but also got left feeling a bit "meh" about it. Not very many beakdowns, thankfully, but an AWFUL lot of "deedil-deedily sweepity sweep" guitar lines...almost TOO much for me to enjoy.

The "moment of the night" however, was immediately before the 2nd band went onstage, as I look up, see a Jackson Kelly and Peavey JSX Stage right, a Fernandes Vortex into a Boogie MkIV stage left.....and then they were picked up by a pair of females who were only slightly bigger than the guitars themselves, with the girl playing the V also handling vocals. They broke into this AMAZINGLY well played set of blackened thrash, with some slower melodic sections that had a doomy feel. The entire band was amazing, the bass player was VERY good as well...the drummer was tight, held a groove down.....but the image of the night is most definitely of this petite brunette frontwoman windmilling away while playing TIGHT rythm and the bulk of the leadwork, AND giving Angela Gossow a run for her money vocally....The band is Dreaming Dead (formerly the studio project Manslaughter, which was just the girl and the drummer but the same tunes), out of Los Angeles, California. they have a full length coming out Jan 20, 2009, on Ibex Moon Records. Check them out....

The 3 other acts were all local/semi local. the Burial didn't leave much of an impression on me, as it was the first band of the night, and I really wasn't paying much attention, exmining merch tables and whatnot. the 1st band after the touring package, Doombringer stands out for how AWFUL they were.....young kids, with 7 strings tuned to drop Z, OUT OF TUNE, that were almost ENTIRELY breakdowns with "weedily weedily" lines over the top. Apparently, they had a lot of friends in the crowd, because they had an absurdly large "hardcore dancing pit monkeys" contingent.....

The band that closed the night out was the semi-local band Necrotica....these guys are metalheads thru and thru, and play a pissed off sounding style of blackened thrash, sometimes they go a bit too long with the length of the songs and number of lead breaks in them....and they were PISSED at going on after Doombringer pretty much ran most of the crowd out of the joint AFTER the touring package was already done. It showed in their playing (a GOOD thing for their style, I assure you). Neuraxis, Decrepit Birth, and Dreaming Dead all stuck around to see these guys close the night out, it's just unfortunate that the crowd hand probably thinned down to 20 other people, and 10 of those were friends/girlfriends of the band. It was 1:20 AM by the time I left, I was already stiff, sore, and exhausted, and I loved every second of it.....

Last edited by exo on Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:45 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added rundown of local acts....)
exo

Number of posts : 101
Registration date : 2008-10-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: South Bend metalfest.....

Post by Orion Crystal Ice on Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:29 am

Veil of Maya........ a core band naming themselves after a Cynic song... just..... just... No
Orion Crystal Ice
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2008-10-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by exo on Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:49 pm

tell me about it. I was already vaguely familiar with the other 4 bands when I decided to check out Veil of Maya online. I figured with THAT name, and the other 4 bands on the package, there was a decent chance of me liking what I would hear......tlk about dissappointment Crying or Very sad
exo

Number of posts : 101
Registration date : 2008-10-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider on Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:43 pm

I'm going to have to check out Dreaming Dead, thanks for the review.
Black Rider

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2008-10-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down